Portland Scandinavian Chorus is…
Scandia Ladies’ Chorus & Scandinavian Men’s Chorus of Portland, Oregon
We are a friendly, mixed community chorus and enjoy celebrating culture by singing together in Nordic languages: Danish, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian and Swedish; and English sometimes too!
- All are welcome, with and without Scandinavian heritage. Please come check us out and consider joining — no auditions, and knowledge of Scandinavian languages is not required to participate — native speakers are on hand to coach us on pronunciation.
- 7-9 PM Monday Rehearsals —Mid-January to mid-May, mid-September to December. During the rehearsal seasons, first rehearsals and on the second Monday of every month, a delicious home-cooked soup, salad, and bread supper is served before rehearsal starting at 6 PM for $3.
- Rehearsal Location: Finley-Sunset Hills, 6801 SW Sunset Hwy, Portland, OR 97225
a beautiful venue. Yes, it is a mortuary and we joke about that.
- Contact us with any questions, or let us know if you intend to check us out!
Spring Season 2017 — Like to Sing? Join Us!
Finnish/Swedish Spring Bonfire
Walpurgis Night or Vappu or Valborgsmässoafton
Sunday, April 30 — Come join the fun starting at 7 PM: snacks, sima and punch, varm korv (hot dogs), and sweets, plus a beautiful bonfire! — Free. Location TBA.
Norwegian Constitution Day Celebration: Syttende Mai
Wednesday, May 17, late afternoon/early evening — This is a fun annual celebration, performance in the main ballroom. — Free! Norse Hall, 111 N.E. 11th, Portland, OR 97232
Portland Scandinavian Chorus — Spring Concert & Silent Auction
Sunday, May 21 — Silent Auction: 2 PM, Concert: 4 PM — Win big at our annual Silent Auction and help us pay our director, accompanist, rehearsal space rental, and buy new music. We will also sing our hearts out for you in six languages. Free to attend, donations welcome! New Spring Concert Venue: Nordia House, 8800 SW Oleson Road, Portland, OR 97223
Portland Annual Scandinavian Midsummer Festival
Saturday, June 10 — 11 AM – 6 PM — Welcome summertime with us at this joyous outdoor event. Adults $7, Seniors/Students $6, Family (2 adults, 2 kids) $15, FREE for Kids Under 12 and performers. Performance time: 12:30-1 PM on main (south) stage. Oaks Park, 7805 SE Oaks Park Way Portland, OR 97202
Eight Hands on Two Pianos
Fundraising Event Benefitting Portland Scandinavian Chorus
Sunday, June 11 — Portland Scandinavian Chorus and the Eight Hands Piano Ensemble present a wonderfully intimate home concert on Sunday, June 11 at 3 PM. Hear four pianists playing simultaneously on two grand pianos, playing music from classical to modern. Ticket price of $50 includes hors d’oeuvres, wine, and dessert. Only a few tickets left! Contact Joan for more information.
We LOVE Our Staff
Our director Vance Sele and accompanist Christopher Wilson are truly gifted professionals helping you sing better than ever, each with a great sense of humor.
We LOVE Our Volunteers — Upcoming Opportunities
Your help is welcome with: liking our Facebook posts, acquiring donations for our annual silent auction at our spring concert, and helping set up or break down for events, baking or selling bread, printing/posting fliers. Non-singing volunteers are always welcome.
- For more info on volunteering, please email Alana or call 503-706-9882.
Contact Us Today
For more information on attending our performances, joining, volunteering, contributing donations, or if you have a question, please contact us.